Tuesday 2 February 2016

Punjabi Aloo gobi


One of my 2016 new year resolution is to do more blog posts and bring more of my cooking to your kitchens. So here goes my second post for 2016 which needs no introduction.


So I wasn't a big fan of cauliflower from childhood but it changed when I grew up and started living in hostel. Having had Punjabi aloo gobi at many restaurants since than I have slowly converted into a crazy aloo gobi lover and search started for recipe to make best Aloo gobi that tastes like its coming straight from kitchens of those dhabas on highways of punjab. After trialing many different combinations of spices this is what I have come up with which to me comes closest to that taste. If you are aloo gobi fan like me you must give this recipe a go. 





Recipe: 

Cauliflower florets - 1 bowl
Potatoes cut in big chunks - 1 bowl
Onions - Sliced - 1 medium size 
Tomato - Chopped - 1 small 
Ginger garlic chilli paste - 1 tbsp 
Oil - 2 tbsp 
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp 
Asafoetida - pinch 
Red chilli powder - 1 tsp 
Dhaniya jeera powder - 1 tsp 
Turmeric powder - 1 tsp 
Salt - to taste 
Garam masala - 1 tsp 
Amchoor - 1 tsp 
Chopped coriander - to garnish  

Heat oil in heavy bottom pan. When heated add cumin seeds and let it splutter. Add asafoetida. Add sliced onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add ginger, garlic and green chilli paste and continue saute. when onions turn translucent add tomatoes and saute more. When tomatoes become mushy add red chilli powder, dhaniya jeera powder, turmeric powder and saute more. When oil starts to separate from sides add garam masala and amchoor powder and mix well. Add Cauliflower florets and potatoes and mix well. Add salt per taste. Cover and cook for 10 - 15 minutes while stirring intermittently. Turn off the gas when cauliflower and potatoes are cooked. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve with warm roti or rice.

Try this recipe and give me suggestions if you have any more tips to make it better or simply if you liked it. 

3 comments:

  1. Awesome one!!! Loved the recipe... loved the pics ☺ And I don't have to clarifyyy.. I love aloo gobhiiiiiii 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome one!!! Loved the recipe... loved the pics ☺ And I don't have to clarifyyy.. I love aloo gobhiiiiiii 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have grown up to like aloo gobhi and in winters, it is yumm!

    ReplyDelete