Wednesday 16 March 2016

Sev Tomato curry

Sev tomato curry - this curry has many khatti mithi (Sweet and tangy) memories associated with it. This curry is famous in the region of Gujarat called as "Kathiyawad". When I first met my husband who belongs to Kathiyawad I had no idea of cuisine from Kathiyawad. When he came to meet my parents for the first time I decided to make this curry to impress him. Googling back than wasnt very popular and so cook books were in thing. Being me I thought ahh well sev tomato curry how hard can it be. So I ignored the need to check out recipe and went ahead and prepared my version of this famous curry which was tomato gravy (punjabi curry base) and topped it with dry sev and proudly served it to my would be hubby. I never knew it would make me laughing stock for years to come.

After marriage my father in law taught me all the authentic recipes and so I can now make this yummy curry in authentic way. Below is the recipe that has come straight from our kitchen in Surendranagr for you to enjoy. Do leave me a comment and say what your thoughts are on this recipe and if you had any further suggestions. 


Ingredients:
Tomato : 4 medium sized chopped in medium sized pieces
Green chilli: 2 or 3 chopped
Curry leaves: 6 to 8 leaves
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida powder: 1/2 tsp or slightly less
Red chilli powder: 2 tsp or more as per taste
Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
Cumin corriander powder: 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar: 3 tsp
Sev (Chickpea noodle): 1 small bowl (Below is the picture of type of sev I have used )




Method:
Heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot add mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add cumin seeds and when they crackle add asofetida. Now add curry leaves and chopped green chillies fry them for half a minute and add chopped tomatoes. Add 1.5 cups of water and add all the spices (Red chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin coriander powder) Now turn the flame to low and add salt as per taste. Cover and cook until tomatoes are well cooked and mushy. Add sugar and mix well and cook on slow flame for 2 - 3 minutes. Now check water consistency (If too dry add some more water ) and add Sev. Cover and cook on slow flame for again 3 minutes (Ensure there is some gravy left and curry isnt too dry). Turn off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve with roti / paratha / thepla or rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment